Open Source PowerShell – Play by Play
What’s going on here?
So last week you may have seen this picture on Twitter…it went a little crazy…and you may have been wondering what are we up to? Well, last week I had the pleasure of filming a Pluralsight Play By Play. A Play By Play is a course on Pluralsight but in a slightly different format than you may be used to. A Play By Play bring together industry experts to discuss and demonstrate an emerging technology. This Play by Play is on “Microsoft Open Source PowerShell – PowerShell on Linux and Mac” and is available now and is FREE! You do not have to be a subscriber!
Jason, Jeffrey and Anthony (me)
A Motley Crew
The purpose of this Play By Play is to bring to you insider knowledge of Open Source PowerShell. We discuss why this is important and also how it works. To do that Pluralsight pulled together a team to bring this to you.
- **Jason Helmick **– Jason is a full time Pluralsight author and a PowerShell MVP
- Jeffrey Snover – Jeffrey is a Technical Fellow at Microsoft, the inventor of PowerShell and the architect for Windows Server
- Anthony Nocentino – I am an Enterprise Architect, Pluralsight author and Linux expert (or so they say)
What’s Covered in the Course
We dive deep into PowerShell’s architecture, the reasoning behind going Open Source, and also how you can leverage this in your data center. It’s not just talk, we show you with many live demos highlighting how really things work. The course is broken into 7 modules and since we’re all computer scientists, we start with Module 0…naturally.
- Module 0 – Introduction
- Module 1 – Open Source PowerShell – Architecture, concepts and getting started
- Module 2 – PowerShell on Linux and Mac – An overview for the Linux pro of how PowerShell works
- Module 3 – PowerShell Remoting – An overview for the Linux pro of how PowerShell Remoting works
- Module 4 – Common Management Tasks – Common operations in Linux that can be done with PowerShell
- Module 5 – Advanced Functions – Building higher level tooling with PowerShell
- Module 6 – Desired State Configuration – What is DSC and how it works
_The course is now available at Pluralsight! _
This was an incredible experience. I had to buckle down and learn PowerShell in about 6 weeks…I certainly didn’t want to make a fool of myself in front of the inventor of PowerShell and an industry recognized expert. The shoot lasted literally all day from 9-6PM. There’s a ton of material…you all will be very pleased. The key point to all of this is opening up PowerShell to multi-platform environments which is huge…TITANIC. This enables you to have one tool to manage a heterogenous data center. I’m taking this seriously and will continue to learn PowerShell. Thanks to Jason for guiding me along the way and sharing his knowledge with me you made this easy(er)! Thanks to Jeffrey for sharing your insight and vision. It was truly a pleasure.
Behind the scenes – Jason and Jeffrey